What You Need To Know About Putting Out a Grease Fire
How Dangerous Is a Grease Fire?
More often than not, if you experience a fire in the kitchen, it’s probably a grease fire. These fires are significantly different than other fires you’re likely to encounter throughout your life and require different steps to eliminate properly and safely. In fact, failing to use the proper measures when dealing with this type of threat can lead to several poor outcomes:
- Further expansion of the fire
- An explosion that spreads fire and hot grease more quickly
- Failure to impact the fire in any way
By knowing the steps to take and consulting the proper sources, you can prevent your home from becoming one of the thousands that are destroyed by these fires in the US each year.
Turn Off the Heat Source
The first thing you should do when a grease fire starts is turn off the heat source. This can help eliminate further damage from occurring. Then, attempt to cover any remaining flames with a metal pan or lid to smother them. In some cases, this may be the end of your firefighting needs, but that’s typically only if you catch the issue at the very beginning.
Use the Right Extinguishing Tools
Never, ever attempt to use water to put out a grease fire. When cool water comes in contact with flaming-hot oil, it can cause an explosion, which could both seriously injure you and spread the fire further into your kitchen. Instead, use baking soda to smother small flares, and use a class B dry chemical fire extinguisher as a last resort.
Know When To Leave
Sometimes, you won’t be able to put out a fire yourself. If your efforts fail to stop or slow down the fire in your kitchen, get yourself, your family and your pets out and call for emergency services in Mount Pleasant, RI.
Of course, it’s always best to try and prevent a grease fire from occurring. If you do experience one of these fires in your kitchen, you should waste no time in calling 911, your insurance company and a cleanup crew.