How To Access Assistance Through FEMA
How to Apply for FEMA Assistance
Around 85 percent of flood damage is not covered under homeowners’ insurance policies. If a storm were to damage your home in Federal Hill, RI, would you be in that majority? If so, learning about the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) may save your bank account.
What Is Covered?
This federal government agency coordinates financial and other supports for those impacted by a declared natural disaster. Annually, flooding is the most common calamity that damages homes, vehicles and personal property. FEMA offers the following:
• Grants are available to restore homes to a livable condition. Although this money does not need to be paid back, it frequently covers only the minimum repairs to ensure your home’s safety.
• Grants are also available for other related costs, such as temporary housing, medical costs or funeral expenses.
• Disaster loans need to be paid back. This funding often covers expenses accrued by working with a storm restoration specialist to return your property and belongings to preloss condition.
What Is the Application Process?
In order to apply for assistance, homeowners must meet set criteria. This includes evidence that damage was caused by a federally declared disaster, citizenship (including non-citizen nationals and qualified aliens) of a household member and non-duplication of insurance benefits when applicable. If these requirements are met, take the following steps:
• Initiate the process online on the appropriate government website.
• Schedule an appointment with an inspector contracted with the federal agency to visit your home. The role of these inspectors is to survey the damage caused by flooding or other declared disaster. They verify eligibility and document that you are the owner of the impacted structure or property. They also take pictures of extent of the damage.
• Following the inspection, wait for an adjustor to review the specifics of the damage and assign a monetary value for the cost of repair.
In the aftermath of a flood or other catastrophe in Federal Hill, RI, homeowners may be eligible to receive funding for disaster-related expenses. FEMA provides both grants and loans to help you get back on your feet when devastation strikes.