Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biohazards are infectious and biological waste, this could be blood, human waste, animal waste, microbiological wastes, pathological or medical waste like sharps. These types of wastes are potentially dangerous and pose real health risks.
Standards are established for the cleanup of these types of needs by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration). These standards require the right protocols, the right equipment and the relevant expertise.
Our SERVPRO teams are specially trained for biological waste. Our team is able to come alongside your business and regain control of your property. Below we've put together some tips of first steps to be aware of if you find yourself in need of addressing a biological waste situation.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (401) 941-5500
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Providence has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
SERVPRO of Providence proudly serves Providence, Elmwood, and surrounding areas.